Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 2, and Other Things (August 20, 2013)

Throughout the years, I have homeschooled year-round.  It has worked very well for us, and it enabled us to take many breaks throughout the year.  This past summer, I decided to let the Bean have a nice, big, summer break.  We then took about a month to have "summer school".  (Translation:  all I had him do was a little science workbook, and health workbook.)  Now that he had to review math this morning, he sees why Momma likes to school year-round.  Especially with math.  I think that'll be the one subject we always keep up on.

Today has been going well for him.  

We started today with a page out of an art workbook.  He loves art, one of my main goals is to add plenty of art throughout this year. (More on that later.)  Immediately after that, he had a spelling test.  After that, we dove right into Saxon.  He read aloud the next four lessons, we did some mental math with monopoly money, and then finished with a couple of worksheets on time/multiplication tables.  
After Math, we did the next two lessons in Easy Grammar.  He has had a good morning.
I fed him a pizza lunchable, then he went into his reading time for the day.  

For the afternoon, we had a quick snack after he read more of his book for the week.  We did the next lesson (orally) from Writing with Ease, I think he's ready for the next level.  He's doing very well, I didn't know which level to start him at, since we've never used this curriculum before.  He finished the next Spelling/Vocabulary lesson, and we will be testing on it tomorrow.
Next, he read from Story of the World, and reviewed the history cards.  I read aloud to him from a Child's History of the World, and he loved that.  I'm hoping to finish SOTW by next month, and move to the next book.  We spent a lot of time on U.S.  History last year, so we didn't finish that.  I'm trying to figure out what sort of timeline to put on our wall, I'm VERY excited about that.  We ended the day with the next Science lesson, as I'm awaiting the new Science curriculum for the year.  

2 comments:

  1. We didn't do much this summer and I noticed on day one how much math and reading ground we lost!!

    We love the timeline from Classical Conversations, Mardel's is carrying it now. I also have used the Veritas press timeline (and I have one laying around) that is good if you are looking for "cards"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been intrigued by CC, hope it's going well for y'all! We do a lot of "classically styled" things here, but also other things.

    ReplyDelete