Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Day! (August 19th, 2013)

Today has been going well for the Little Bean.  We got dressed up and took pictures this morning.  (Which is not an everyday thing, an upside of homeschooling is pajamas all day!)

Our day has looked like this:

At about 9:20, we started snapping some "first day of school" pictures, and lots of 'em!
Soon after, we hit the ground running!  He wrote a two page report on his summer break.  Then we blew through lessons 1-4 of Saxon Math, and I wish we would've started this curriculum many years ago!!  He read aloud, and answered some things aloud.  Then we moved onto spelling/vocabulary.  Lunch at around 11:00, then straight to reading time.  His first book for the year is "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

At around 1:45 we started our afternoon session. We completed the first lessons in The Complete Writer, orally.  Three lessons in Easy Grammer 4/5.  We did the first lesson in one of our Science workbooks (Spectrum), and finished with a U.S. History Lesson out of a reader I found.

It was a FULL day, and he was tired, but HAPPY!!!

At one point he looked at me and said, "Momma I love 5th grade!  I like it better than 4th grade!  Know what I like most about it??  That YOU are my teacher!!!"

Heart = Melted.

It was a great first day.





2 comments:

  1. Gotta love that! What a sweet comment!!

    What math did you use before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so sorry it took so long! We used Horizons, which was great. I was just not happy with last year, and Saxon is AMAZING. I love it, he loves it, and it's a great curriculum!

    ReplyDelete